Monday, June 1, 2009

IN YOUR BUSINESS Solving Workplace Worries


Is Work a Pain In The Neck?

I have been on my job for only a few months, and I am in a position that I am usually on the phone all day. I hug the phone to my ear with my shoulder while I am talking so I can continue to use my hands while I take my calls. The problem is that I suffer now from severe neck pain and I may have to file for workman's compensation as a result. I am concerned about how to handle this properly. I don't want to jeopardize my job. Do you have any suggestions?


H. N., Customer Relations
Arlington, Texas


Dear H. N.:
First of all, you should be using a headset. Your employer has the responsibility to supply this equipment for the ease and comfort of doing your job. I suggest you request the headset, and give yourself time to let the muscles in your neck re-adjust before you consider filing a compensation claim.
If you have sustained some permanent injury, that's something that definitely warrants taking a formal approach to getting time off to heal. However, I think you may discover that you simply have pain in the neck from using improper phone equipment. You will probably feel better very shortly, once you are using the headset regularly instead.
Hope that helps!


S.R.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment