Monday, June 21, 2010

IN YOUR BUSINESS

Customer Service Reps,
Please Allow Me to HELP YOU!


Is it just me, or has really great customer service become a rare commodity?


The other day I was talking with my cell company, the same company that I've had service with for the last eight years. I had a question about the functionality of the phone, because I determined that I probably need the "Blackberry for Dummies" guide. To save time though this time, I preferred to go through the call prompts and get a real life customer service representative to help me.


I explained my issue, because I just didn't "get it", wasn't quite sure how to make the function work. I've had the phone for a year, but I'm still getting used to all the apps. The first thing I LEARNED was that I was not as bright as the representative about the phone, and she let me know it.
I already KNEW THAT. That's why I was calling.

"I hope you don't take this the wrong way," she said, "but you really should not have to call about that. You should have looked at the DVD that came with your phone. You also could have gone online."


"Young lady," I replied, "I called because I wanted someone to EXPLAIN it to me, and GUIDE me through the process, and just an FYI for you, I suggest you don't say things like that to your customers."


She said, "Well, I told you not to take it the wrong way." So, the "wrong way" meant that I shouldn't be asking a simple question with an obvious answer, because I guess she was there to answer deep, complicated stuff.


"I didn't take it the 'wrong way'. I will take a look at the DVD, but since you're on the phone, could you please help me?" Now, I am wondering if I really do want HER to help me, because now her attitude has shown up and she is clearly not wanting to do this.


She snapped out a swift explanation, as I responded to each direction with, "O.K., O.K." Then she said, "Is there anything else?"


I said, "No. That's all. Thank you." End of call, no goodbye, no "have a nice day", just a "I think you're a stupid customer" left lingering in cyberspace. Anyway, I knew the answer now.


Customer Service Representatives of the world, please remember that you're hired to help folks like me for whatever the reason. We, the customers, would like to feel comfortable and confident that it's alright to call you with our silly, dumb, simple questions. DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY, but it would really be HELPFUL if when you ask "how may I help you?", you really mean it.

On a more positive note, I hope you have a nice day, and I REALLY DO mean it.
I hope that helps.

S.R.F.

1 comment:

  1. Yes I am sure that people have forgotten what customer service is! I have never seen, or heard so many rude people in my life. I know for a fact that the concept needs to be retaught to many people in the field. If we would just talk to people the way we would like to be talked too, we would be ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete