Monday, June 14, 2010

I'm Just Sayin'



Whitney Houston: It's A Weighty Business

All of the recent media feedback about Whitney Houston has me THINKING, a regular exercise I indulge in regarding matters of importance, or interest.

First, let me say, I am a die-hard Whitney Houston fan. Like many of you, I have watched her over the years, from the most glorious days to the graven condition she found herself in, the fight for a comeback, and the even greater fight to "stay back" in the game. As fans, our emotions are mixed. Speaking for myself, I know that I am glad that the addiction didn't kill her, and I am saddened that she is still struggling so much with, obviously, some additional issues. If that isn't enough, for me to see the media killing her is a bit hard to take, too.


I agree that what we hear is not good. The voice has faded, and maybe she could have made a better decision to not put herself under so much pressure to perform right now. She is ONLY human, and I feel sure that she more than likely feels the embarrassment in ways we don't get to see. I am sure that it is quite painful for her, wanting to do and give her best, but having difficulty producing it. At this point, I feel more compassion than disappointment though. No one plans to fall, and certainly she didn't expect she'd fall so hard in this great attempt to stand tall again. Maybe more rest and less spotlight would be the best remedy for healing and hope of easier days. I sure hope so.


With all that being said, what stimulated my thoughts today is the issue of her weight gain. Stories say she is about 175 pounds now, and I am still scratching my head wondering why that is such a horrible thing. She still looks like a Diva to me. All of this crazy evaluation of celebrities and high profile individuals who gain weight baffles me, as if they are supposed to have some supernatural resistance to food. I understand that they have their "public" to please, and they often start out with these supposedly marvelous images of good health and weight sustain-ability, but if you eat regularly at all, you know that so many of us are only a few weak meals away from tighter, hard-to-pull-up jeans. You know what I mean, the same jeans that fit pretty well just a few "weaks" ago, are hard to pull up now.

So what if some of the celebs gain some, or a lot of weight: let's not send them to a special jail for it. If it's an issue TO THEM, health, self-esteem or whatever, that's one thing. If it's an issue TO US because WE THINK they should be slimmer to PLEASE US, well, let's wake up to the reality that stuff changes, especially stuff like our weight.
Is it bad, or is it just an unrealistic paradigm for us? I am not encouraging bad health, being overweight or obesity, but it's definitely O.K. to not be super-thin and still be loved.

Anyway, while Whitney struggles to sing, and with other battles she faces, I know all of us can agree that life is a weighty business in more ways than one. Whether its POUNDS or PROBLEMS, the "scale" can surprise you on any given day. In this regard, however, because I am such a dedicated fan, I think that today I will have a double burger, fries, and something sweet, goo-ey and high in calories to show my support...I'm just sayin', here's to you, Whitney. Hang in there.


S.R.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment