When a year ends and another rolls in, we throw the words "Happy New Year" all over the land. We say it in such a celebratory sense because it gives us the feeling that the slate has been wiped clean and a new chance at something is right in front of us. Riding high on the possibilty of the "new" is great, but how about focusing on the "happy"? Here are a few thoughts on that idea:
1. Put yourself on your priority list, way up on top. Your health, your mental and emotional well-being are critical to your happiness and the happiness of those around you. To be at your best, you MUST take the best care of yourself that you possibly can. Give it your 100% effort.
2. Find a "happy" place to hide. Find a great corner of a cafe, coffee shop or restaurant where you can enjoy your favorite cup of coffee or tea, or a favorite meal. It's satisfying to find time for yourself, to be with yourself for a quiet, happy, alone-time couple of cherished hours.
3. Refresh yourself often. When we get bored with our routine lives, we get frustrated and unhappy quite easily. You may not be able to take a flight to Paris (do it if you can), but you can visit new and fun places right at home or in nearby cities that will surprise and delight you. You will find them if you look for them.
4. Make adjustments. Just because you have been doing things the same way doesn't mean there is not a better or more effective way of doing it. You can take the load off of several "duties" or chores by rethinking how it can get done. Don't hesitate to pay someone to do things for you that lighten up your responsibilities. You might be suprised at who might appreciate five, ten or twenty dollars to run an errand or clean your bathroom. Lighten your load. You will be happier.
5. Focus on being happy. My list of suggestions is short, but there are many, many ways to make sure you feel the joy you need to. Sit down and think about it. Write down some things. Follow through on them. Don't let frustrations and distractions convince you that there is no way you can be happy. There is: don't lose your focus on it. HAPPY New Year! ~ S.R.F.
Want more FOXOLOGY? CLICK HERE: