Saturday, August 1, 2026

GRAB YOUR PEARLS AND PERILS AND LAUGH

Sometimes life really sucks. Yeah, I said it. Sometimes you just look around with disgust and disbelief about the things we see going on, and the things we are all going through. I am far from being classified as a "negative" person, but observation of the many, many hard and horrible things happening in the world make you wanna holler and throw up both your hands in shock and dismay. Has it always been this crazy and we just didn't have the tools to know it?

Since I am a self-proclaimed positive-thinking guru, I work diligently and daily to keep my head out of the sand and focused on as much healthy, positive, enriching and encouraging mental and emotional intake as possible. I'm not just talking loud and saying nothing when I say that, either. It's what I do. I have to. My life experiences have come with overcoming unbelieveable hardships and obstacles and surviving some of the most incredible odds. And, even finding another breath to breathe through unfortunate tragedies and trials.

All of that was to say, I won't mislead you on anything I share with you. Indeed, life can be a whole situation of pain and problems, of brokeness and despair, and of feeling like you are lost in space or, on a free fall off of a cliff. I know many of you are nodding your heads in agreement. Been there with me? Done that too? Some stuff ain't pretty regardless of how you attempt to twist or spin it. Yes, life can suck in so many ways, that's the peril. You can survive though, that's the pearl.

"You can choose 

what brings you joy. 

Choose the funny first."

I'll share one of my survival techniques. I am not joking about this or saying this lightheartedly, but laugh as much as you can and as often as you can. I don't mean embellish yourself in silly and derogatory jokes. Choose what brings you real joy. I watch some of the best old school sitcoms and movies that literally have me gut-laughing, creative writing and acting artistry meant to give us a joyous kind of humor, one-liners and punch lines that are truly hilarious. I watch at least one episode of something funny almost every day, on purpose.

The Bible says that laughter is like good medicine. So true, people. That's a pearl in the perils, folks. Science tells us that when we laugh our body produces endorphins that stay in our bodies for hours and hours. Here's what Mental Health America tells us what happens when those endorphins are released into our system:

What They Do

  • Block pain: They act as natural painkillers by stopping pain signals in your nervous system.
  • Reduce stress: They help lower stress and anxiety.
  • Boost mood: They create positive feelings and a sense of well-being, sometimes leading to euphoria like a "runner's high". 

Talk about pearls! Euphoria! Did you know this? Now that you do, laugh a little. Laugh a lot. Laugh often. Laugh on purpose. Laugh for real. Laugh by yourself! Stop yourself from dwelling on the perils we're in all the time. Life is going to keep happening. It seems to be on a real roll right now. It's all the more reason to take care of your well-being as best as you can. So, laugh. You say, nothing is funny? You're hurting? You're confused? You're lost? I do understand, but if I waited until somthing funny happens first, I could be waiting all day most days. Listen to me, CHOOSE the funny FIRST.    

The things going on in the world are hard to swallow for sure, perilous times. While you keep your eyes on current events, at the same time keep your eyes on whatever pearls you can grab in the process. We need them. They are priceless while we are trying to make life feel more valuable and more rewarding. Laughing is only one of them. I encourage you to discover a few of your own. It's worth it. We need those pearls to survive. ~ S.R.F


It' smart. It's wise. It's FOXOLOGY! Listen to archived FOXOLOGY podcasts:

FOXOLOGY with Host Silver Rae fox



No comments:

Post a Comment