Thursday, October 1, 2026

FAITH: I NEEDED DOLLARS AND SENSE

I can remember all too well back when I was stressing terribly financially getting through college. It was so hard because the demand for completing all the reading, all the studying and all coursework was overwhelming. I had to survive mostly on very part-time work that I could hardly manage to squeeze in, and the small amount of money left over from scholarships and grants. I was more than determined to get my degree so I fought my way through.

One day I needed food, so I went to the grocery store with my minute budget to get a few things. Even though I thought I was carefully calculating my total according to what I had while I shopped, somewhere in my addition I was a few dollars short when the cashier rang me up. Consequently, feeling embarrassed and with tears in my eyes, I knew I had to put a couple things back. I felt awful, not just from that moment, but because most all my days in pursuit of my degree felt like one of the hardest things I had ever attempted to do. It was, but there was a "do not quit" in my spirit bigger than any obstacle that got in my way.

While I was standing there in the grocery line all whimpy, a lady turned to me and said, "You gotta have faith." If you could have seen how quickly I wiped my tears, enough for me to give her a soft side-eye response, you would have cracked up laughing. I took a deep breath and picked my head up and squared my shoulders and said quietly and kindly, "I don't think they take faith here." I'm thinking to myself "Lady, I appreciate you trying to encourage me, but what I need is money in this moment." I didn't mean to sound rude. I was just simply frustrated and hurt that I could't meet this small need. I know she meant well, but my comment shut her down. I think in some way she probably understood.

So, this is a good place to talk about faith, you think? I know that Lady meant that I should hang in there, that things will get better. I know she probably meant that this is just a season. I know she probably thought her comment would cheer me up. It didn't. The fact of the matter is, I understand what having faith means, and I understood in that moment, too. What she didn't know was the big picture of the whole struggle. I already knew that in some way, futuristically thinking, I would be okay. That day, however, was like many others prior and many ahead, it was an uncomfortable experience regarding money, a hard place, and I was doing all I could to stay in school and support myself as best as I could. 

Doing the college thing ain't no joke. It is not for the faint-of-heart regardless of how much money you have. You gotta do the work, sacrifices and all if you really want to experience the glory of walking across that stage one day, and off the stage with your degree in hand. Faith, indeed is the way. Faith in yourself. Faith in your "WHY" and faith in what you believe your calling and your purpose may be in life.

I know your struggle or struggles may not look like anything I just described, but the faith principles themselves will never fail you. They are important and useful. They work if you work them. They make sense:

1. Fight for what you are believing in. Keep thinking about what it means to you. When you feel like you want to throw in the towel, I always say hold on to it and wipe your tears and sweat with it. Keep believing you will make it through to your goal, or through whatever it is you're going through.

2. Life has many aches, agitations, adverse situations, obstacles, problems, predicaments, issues and hard, horrible stuff. I wish it were not so, but it is. When you face them, it can be your greatest challenge trying to figure out how to manage and maneuver your way forward. I have only one answer that I know works: Choose to keep going, though bruised, battered and broken, just keep going. It won't be easy, but I can confidently say you won't regret giving your all to get all you want and need.

3.Check in with yourself often. How are you feeling? Do you need to take a break? Do you need to pause? Are you making yourself sick and tired for the purpose of what the plan or goal is? Take that break. Take that time. Your health, your mental and emotional well-being play a critical role helping you to be okay with your decisions. Rest and retreat whenever you know you need to.You can still be committed to something, and still break away for a while.

4. Faith will help you hold on. Faith in God. Faith in yourself. Faith in your future. Faith in your plans, and any other of the things that require your time and energies. Faith can push you forward. Faith can hold you down when needed. Faith can see the end goals and results when you are on your way to everything you desire in your life's journey. It works, especially when challenges want to blind you.

Faith in itself is not tangible. You can't take it out of your wallet and pay for your groceries, or buy your house and car with it, or whatever things money can do. But here's what you can do with it: Faith is a game-changer. Faith is what will help you face your hardest difficulties. Faith is that beautiful thing that can rest in your heart and soul, the compelling constant reminder that all those things and more are possible for you to have, to go after and to achieve. ~ S.R.F.

It' smart. It's wise. It's FOXOLOGY! Listen to archived FOXOLOGY podcasts:

FOXOLOGY with Host Silver Rae fox

 

No comments:

Post a Comment